Friday, January 14, 2005

To start out this blog..

I have decided to post a 500 word short piece of fiction as an experiment to try something different. Wether you like this short story short, I liked writing it. Like with all pieces of fiction her, it is all about trying new things on the fly.

THE END
by David Blackwell

It will be dark soon. The world is going to end in five hours or at least civilization as we know it. I'm watching KISS ME DEADLY on the DVD player as I avoid the 24 hours a day news broadcasting on every single channel. Why do I need to be depressed more? If tomorrow is the beginning of the end of the human race, that is the way it will be. I can imagine that the world governments do have some crazy schemes to stop the incoming Harbinger Asteroid, but that kinda of stuff only works in the movies.

"What are you doing? Don't you want to go outside and see the change come?"
"No, I don't. Who are you anyway?" I said to the figure that appeared in my living room.
"I'm Erebus. I might just be a devil, an angel, or just inside your head," he answered.
"Do you really have to go like some creepy angelic guy?"
"No, I don't. I can look like anyone you want me to be. How's this?"
Erebus now looked and sounded like Lauren Bacall.
"Don't you think Bogie will get jealous?" I joked.
"Is this better?" Erebus asked.
"Sure, I like that Philippines mail order bride look," I smirked.
"Remember I may just be in your head. Someone's at the door."
"You know. Her," Erebus said.

There was a knock on the door. I looked.
"How did you know?"
Erebus was gone.

She was at the door. The only woman I wanted to love.

"Why are you here, Kia?"
"I wanted to see you," she said, "Are you going to let me in?"
"Why?" I asked
"I had to face the truth about us."
"You're a coward. We would have been great together," I said.
"It wouldn't have worked!" Kia replied.
"Fear drove you away and it drives you back to me now because the world is about to end. How dare you!"
"I need you now!"
"Kia, will you be there tomorrow if any of us survive...or will you run again?"

She was silent. I could see she wanted to cry. I held her. She looked at me.

"Why is this happening?" she asked.
"I don't know. Maybe things happen."
"I'm not talking about the asteroid." She kissed me on my lips.

We undressed quickly as I lead her to the bed. Nothing else mattered. We melted in each other way until the time the world ended as we knew it. Then it was dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home